Expert Witness, Claims, ADR, and Commercial Contracts specialist with over 30 years of career in construction in a broad field of infrastructure industries including oil & gas, process plants, airports, rail, civil engineering, and nuclear. Represented a variety of Owners and Contractors and assisted legal counsel in contract negotiations and a variety of ADR forums worldwide.
Successfully worked on a variety of projects and files with responsibility for the commercial management of major infrastructure projects with a value in excess of $1BN. Operating and managing at the executive level of a project structure in a PPP/PFI environment, representing companies in the preliminary and delivery of live projects. Extensive experience on a variety of bespoke and standard form contracts including CCDC, FIDIC, New Engineering Contract (NEC), ICE, and JCT Contracts.
Managed both contentious and non-contentious contractual matters and key concerns within organizations by providing legal and contractual insight and representation in contract negotiations in Europe, South America, Australia, the Middle East, and the Far East; with major owners and contracting companies. Advised on contractual obligations in order to ensure legal compliance and manage contractual risk. Responsible for both the production and review of project claims, the development and implementation of strategies for risk and opportunity management, together with the evaluation and determination of contractor-submitted claims to project and business management and counsel. Personally, responsible for contract drafting and administration, claims identification, evaluation, preparation and management, dispute resolution, and litigation support.
Barrister at Law, Call July 2010. Certified ODACC Adjudicator, Member of The Honorable Society of the Inner Temple, The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors. Published written work, with contributions to 'Introduction to Construction Contract Management' Routledge. Training as a Mediator and Arbitrator and committed to personal and professional development.
Expert skills set includes contract negotiation and drafting, contract review, negotiation, and administration. Claims identification, preparation, review, presentation, and advocacy. Forensic claims and schedule analysis, determination, and evaluation. Administrative and project control management including scope development, change management, and contract correspondence (prime and subcontract). Budget and financial management and control.
- Contract Drafting
- Expert Reports
- Contract Negotiation (Terms & Conditions/Scope)
- Claims Identification, Preparation, and Articulation
- Risk & Opportunity Management
- Forensic Analysis, & Determination
- Project Commercial Management
- Contract Administration
- Project Controls, Schedule/Programme Procurement
- Commercial Director - Aecon, Toronto, Canada
- Senior Claims Manager - Hill International
- Managing Consultant - Kingsfield Consulting International
- Legal & Contracts Manager - CRC Evans & PIH Ltd.
- Freelance Consultant
- Associate Quantity Surveyor - Long O'Donnell
- Commercial Manager – Capita Symonds
- Contracts Quantity Surveyor - AMEC
- Quantity Surveyor – Vinci
Professional Designations & Affiliations
- Barrister at Law – Bar Vocational Course – Call July 2010
- Certified ODACC Adjudicator in Ontario
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (International Arbitration)
- Member of ADR Institute Ontario
- CEC – Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors