Gold Seal: 2 credits * BC Housing: 15 CPD Points
Live online events
All workers in British Columbia covered by the regulation must obtain their asbestos abatement certification by January 1, 2024, to continue working on any site where asbestos is present.
Any worker conducting asbestos abatement work in relation to a building must be certified, even in situations where a company license is not required. To find out more about who needs a certificate please click here.
If you’re unsure about which training level is appropriate for you/your workers, use this WorkSafeBC asbestos certification questionnaire.
This course equips participants with the knowledge and skills needed to become competent Asbestos Safety Leaders in the field of asbestos abatement. Participants will learn to identify various asbestos-containing materials, associated hazards, and health risks. Additionally, they will develop safe work procedures, understand regulatory requirements, and effectively plan and oversee asbestos abatement projects.
This course consists of the following parts:
- Level 3 Training - 15 Hours - Virtual Live Instructor-Led
- Exam - 1 Hour - Open book exam, proctored online
This course is a WorkSafeBC Authorized Asbestos Abatement Training course provided by MBC Group.
PART 1: Theory
Section 1: Asbestos Identification and Safety
- Recognize different types of asbestos-containing materials and their associated health risks.
- Develop and assess safe work procedures for asbestos handling.
- Interpret air-monitoring results and respond to exposure risks.
- Identify when to engage occupational hygiene consultants.
Section 2: Health and Safety Regulations
- Understand roles and responsibilities under the Workers Compensation Act.
- Define the supervisor's role in asbestos abatement work.
- Ensure workers' fitness for safe work. ➢ Implement safety inspections and record-keeping.
- Comprehend components of an occupational health and safety program.
Section 3: Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Choose appropriate respirators.
- Perform user seal checks and flow checks for respirators.
Section 4: Planning for Abatement Work
- Enforce adherence to site-specific and safe work procedures.
- Maintain necessary documentation on-site.
- Coordinate safety for third-party providers and site occupants.
- Arrange for site utilities (water, power) for safe abatement work.
Section 5: Abatement Set-up
- Conduct pre-abatement inspections and dynamic risk assessments.
- Verify alignment of hazardous materials survey with site conditions.
- Address discrepancies and arrange for sampling.
- Lead workplace orientation.
- Ensure control measures are in place before and during abatement activities.
Section 6: Abatement Execution
- Understand the impact of asbestos removal on building/structure finishes.
- Justify the need for air monitoring.
- Review and communicate occupational air-monitoring results.
- Implement containment methods and safe work practices to minimize exposure risk.
PART 2: Certification Exam
Participants will be required to take part in a 1-hour open book certification exam after completing the online theory portion. The online exam will be proctored by the instructor via Teams.
Upon successful completion of the exam (a score of 80% or higher achieved), participants will receive their official Level 3 Asbestos Safety Leader Certificate, which is valid for (3) three years*. Certificates are issued directly from WorkSafeBC to participants. ICBA will not receive a copy of the certificates. Participants will receive an email with a PDF version and be mailed a hard copy certificate.
*Certification length is still under review and is subject to change by WorkSafeBC.
IMPORTANT PARTICIPANT INFORMATION! (Please read carefully)
- Participants must be 18+ years old to participate.
- Participants are required to provide one (1) piece of government-issued photo ID for verification at the start of the session.
- Participants are required to have working webcams and microphones for the course.
- No-shows or late arrivals (more than an hour) will forfeit the course fees.
Course hours can be used towards the Gold Seal Certification application for credits, subject to approval upon review. Note: every 6 hours of learning equals 1 Gold Seal credit.
Delivery Method: Virtual Live Instructor-Led – MS Teams
Course Fee Includes: Access to the course, course materials, and a digital certificate upon completion.
Sharing a single registration between two or more individuals is not permitted. Please register each person who will be in attendance.
Participants must have already completed Levels 1 and 2
Participants must be 18+ years old to participate.
Who Should Attend
This certification is designed for supervisors and others who are responsible for ensuring health and safety at asbestos abatement worksites. The person(s) holding this responsibility may not have the title of supervisor.
Computer or laptop
This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content (slides or videos), and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, cellphones may not be adequate.
Windows 10 or Mac iOS.
Webcam (Mandatory)– in order to engage and collaborate, participants will be expected to have their webcams on for the duration of the class
Internet connection- For best results, you will want to ensure you have an internet connection with an upload/download speed of 3-5 Mbps. You can test your internet speed here. The minimum recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps, but anything below 3 Mbps may result in loss of quality or buffering. Ideally hardwired connection versus wireless for stability - connect your computer directly to your router using an ethernet cable, rather than using your home wi-fi.
A quiet space with minimal distractions –The microphone will be engaged for interactive sessions. Please plan to be fully engaged in the class and clear your work schedule just as you would for the in-class program.