A National Network
Independent Merit Associations operate in all provinces of Canada, except for Quebec and PEI. While the services provided in each province are tailored to the needs of that jurisdiction, a common philosophy and passionate belief in the rights of open shop contractors binds the associations together.
Merit Canada was established in November 2008 as a united national voice for eight provincial Open Shop construction associations. Merit Canada supports and promotes
- the right of employers and employees to operate within a free enterprise system of commerce
- wages and working conditions being determined directly between employers and employees or through collective bargaining processes, as freely chosen by the parties;
- a building climate where construction contracts are awarded based on merit
For more information, call 1-877-41MERIT or Visit Merit Canada online.
Working in another province?
If your company is a member in one province, and you are working in another province, guidelines agreed to by the provincial open shop associations from across Canada ask that your company join the supplementary province at NO COST and report the hours worked in that province to the corresponding association.
How is “working in another province” defined under these new guidelines?
- Setting up a physical office to conduct ongoing business
- Establishing an ongoing or regularly recurring operating presence in the province
- Expending 10,000 or more hour bank hours in the province in a year.
These guidelines were developed to provide consistency of direction to our collective members as they continue to expand into new markets outside of their home province.
If you meet one of more of the above criteria, please contact your plan administrator for more direction on setting up the new membership.